CRICH PARISH

which consists of the villages of Crich, Fritchley and Whatstandwell

A history of the 1923 Crich Stand

Crich Memorial Tower was opened on Moday 6th August 1923 at 4 p.m. by General Sir Horace L. Smith-Dorrien, Colonel of The Sherwood Foresters.

What follows is mainly a photo-history of the Sherwood Forester Memorial Tower.

The following kindly provided photographs and postcards: Beryl Calladine, P.N. (private album), R.H.Smith, R. Hall, G.Thompson, Brenda Adderson, Peter Woolley. Opening programme courtesy of Beryl Calladine.

Building new stand
Building the "new" Memorial Tower.
construction Crich Stand
Courtesy David Bull
construction Crich Stand
Courtesy David Bull
construction Crich Stand
Courtesy David Bull
newstand
The "new" Memorial Tower nearing completion.
new stand
Nearly complete.
new stand
Visitors looking at the almost complete tower.
new stand
Taken in 1922; the hut belonged to the workmen
new stand opening
Opening of the Memorial Tower Moday 6th August 1923 at 4 p.m. by General Sir Horace L. Smith-Dorrien, Colonel of The Sherwood Foresters
new stand
new stand
new stand
Second pilgrimage
This photo was labelled "Second Pilgrimage to Sherwood Memorial Tower".
Photo of Crich Stand
Photo courtesy of Rose Kelland
new stand
Postcard of Crich Stand
Post card of Crich Stand
new stand Memorial Tower
Crich tower
Stand Sunday 1961
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday 1961
Stand Sunday 1961
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday 1961
Crich stand beacon 1982
The beacon in 1982 (photo Brenda Adderson)
silhouette of Crich Stand
1986 Photo: Brenda Adderson
Crich stand at night
Photo: Peter Woolley
Stand Sunday 1961
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday 1961
Crich Stand in the snow 1984
In the snow in 1984 (Photo Brenda Adderson)
stand Sunday 1930
This photograph was labelled "Stand Sunday 1930".
It was taken in Crich Market Place before the march to the Memorial Tower.

Crich Stand Sunday 1982
Stand Sunday 1982 (Photo Brenda Adderson)
Ram mascot
Photo: Peter Woolley

Stand Sunday
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday
Stand Sunday
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday
Stand Sunday
Photo: Peter Woolley



Stand Sunday 1961
Crich Stand Sunday 1986
Stand Sunday 1986 (Photo Brenda Adderson)
Ike Woolley
Photo: Peter Woolley



Ike Wooley, first Warden at Crich Stand
Mr and Mrs Ike Woolley
Photo: Peter Woolley



Mr & Mrs Ike Woolley, Stand Wardens
view of Crich Stand
view of the tower
View of Crich Stand
standview
Stand view
Crich stand
View of Crich Memorial Tower in 1985 (photo Brenda Adderson)
Crich Stand
View of Crich Memorial Tower in 1989 (photo Brenda Adderson)
Crich Stand wardens
Malcolm and Brenda Adderson, wardens of the Memorial Tower 1980 – 1992

There are many monumental inscriptions on the Tower and in the grounds.

door to the tower

Over the door:
TO THE MEMORY OF 11409 MEN OF ALL RANKS OF THE
SHERWOOD FORESTERS (NOTTINGHAMSHIRE AND DERBYSHIRE
REGIMENT) WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR KING AND THEIR
COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914–1919 AND IN HONOUR
OF 140,000 OF THEIR COMRADES WHO SERVED DURING THE
WAR IN THIRTY TWO BATTALIONS OF THE REGIMENT THIS
MONUMENT IS GREATFULLY ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE
COUNTIES OF NOTTINGHAM AND DERBY . TO REMIND US OF THEIR SACRIFICE AND OUR DUTY.
Left plaque:

crich stand memorial

THIS MEMORIAL TOWER IS ALSO DEDICATED
TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE OF THE SHERWOOD
FORESTERS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY
FROM 1945 TO 1970

Right plaque:

Crich stand memorial

THIS MEMORIAL TOWER IS ALSO DEDICATED
TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE OF THE
WORCESTERSHIRE AND SHERWOOD FORESTERS
REGIMENT WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES IN
THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY SINCE THE
FORMATION OF THE REGIMENT ON
28 FEBRUARY 1970

Crich stand memorial Crich stand memorial
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE
1520 SHERWOOD FORESTERS WHO
GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR
OF 1939–45 & IN HONOUR OF
THEIR COMRADES WHO SERVED IN
THE 13 UNITS OF THE REGIMENT
crich stand memorial

 

"GENTLEMEN WE WILL STAND AND FIGHT"
(Le Cateau 1915)
TO THE EVERGLORIOUS MEMORY OF
THAT GREAT SOLDIER AND GENTLEMAN
GENERAL
SIR HORACE LOCKWOOD SMITH DORRIEN
G.C.B. G.C.M.G. D.S.O.
COLONEL OF THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS
(NOTTINGHAMSHIRE AND DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT)
1905–1930
ERECTED AS A TOKEN OF LOVE
AND ESTEEM BY HIS COMRADES
OF THE REGIMENT IN WHICH
HE SERVED SO MANY YEARS. WHOEVER LEADS SUCH A LIFE
NEED NOT CARE UPON
HOW SHORT WARNING
IT BE TAKEN FROM HIM

Crich stand memorial
Crich stand memorial
IN MEMORY OF
BRIGADIER J H M HACKETT DSO OBE
24 MARCH 1912–19 FEBRUARY 1985
LAST COLONEL OF THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS 1965 – 1970
AND
FIRST COLNEL THE WORCESTERSHRE AND
SHERWOOD FORESTERS REGIMENT 1970–1972

Cich Stand memorial

IN MEMORY OF
COLONEL S L A CARTER OBE MC
13 JANUARY 1942–4 AUGUST 1999
PRESIDENT
THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS ASSOCIATION
1977–1985
seat memorial Crich stand seat memorial crich stand
seat memorial Crich Stand seat memorial Crich Stand
seat memorial Crich Stand seat memorial Crich Satnd
crich memorial wall
Memorial Wall for those killed after 1945
left plaque on memorial wall
Names on the left panel.
centre plaque of memorial wall
Names on the centre panel.
right plaque of memorial wall
Names on the right panel.

Note that the names of Crich men who were killed in the two World Wars are on the Roll of Honour and War Memorial at St Mary's Church.


Roll of Honour and War Memorials
WW2 Plaques

memorial board at Crich Stand

Plaque on Crich Stand beacon

Ram mascot at Crich Stand

The Regimental Mascot relaxing at Crich Stand in February 2011


Programme from the opening ceremony

Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923
Programme of opening Crich Stand 1923

To see a guide to Crich Stand with panoramic map click here

Home| Photo Index