The cross stands on the site of an earlier monument, listed as ancient in 1857 and described by local poet Ann Perry as an old blackened wooden cross. The present cross dates from 1871 and was designed and carved by a local man Isaac Petts. There is a memorial to him in Crich church yard.
The cross consists of a tapering stone shaft on a square base set on three earlier steps. The wheel cross head has a foliage decoration to the west face and a carved figure to the east face. Most of the early directories, copying from each, other describes the figure as St Michael overcoming the dragon. It is hard to see evidence of a dragon.
The area surrounding the cross was the market place for Crich until the 1920s.
Photographs and postcards courtesy of: Beryl Calladine; private album (P.N.); Graham Swift; Sue Worboys; Peter Patilla.
Courtesy Aileen Taylor